10 Reasons Why Every Writer Needs a Dog
by Bette Lee Crosby
No, I’m not talking about a dog of a story, I’m talking about the yapping, tail wagging, love you forever kind of friend that writers should not be without. However, in deference to all my kitty-loving friends I must admit that some cats have been able to capture the same wonderful traits found in dogs.
Sugar is my baby…well, she’s actually a Bichon Frise, but as far as I’m concerned she’s my baby. She loves me unconditionally, pines for me when I go out and jumps for joy when I return. Okay hubby loves me, but doesn’t miss me if I’m gone for hours, nor does he jump for joy when I return.
Sugar is thrilled with a piece of bologna…, hubby, not so thrilled.
Sugar is content to sit beside me while I work…hubby prefers to watch ballgame.
Sugar has very big shoes to fill. She is replacing Katie, the Bichon who sat in my lap while I wrote the bestseller Spare Change. We lost Katie to cancer last October and for months on end I was heartsick.
In January we found Sugar. She was just a little over two pounds, but full of love and energy. She’s trying very hard to fill the emptiness left by Katie. It’s no easy task, especially for a pup that loves to chew and isn’t quite housebroken.
Sugar isn’t Katie, but she’s already won a forever spot in my heart. It seems that God in His wisdom gives dogs something that people sometimes lack…the ability to make you smile even though your heart is breaking.
Now, here are the Ten Reasons Every Writer Needs a Dog
1) A dog needs to pee, so you are forced to take periodic breaks from the computer.
2) A dog happily listens to that revised manuscript as many times as you want to read it.
3) On a cold afternoon a dog in your lap keeps you warmer than a space heater.
4) A dog does not expect you to actually cook dinner…a slice of bologna or take out is fine.
5) You’re always #1 on your dog’s best person list.
6) A dog doesn’t punch a time clock, they’ll keep you company for as long as you work.
7) A dog will join you in a lazy day nap, or stay in bed beside you if you’re sick.
8) A dog will prevent you from getting fat (they get half of every cookie!)
9) A dog eliminates the need for a doorbell.
10) A dog will teach you what unconditional love actually is.
But a word of warning…once you fall in love with a dog it is a forever thing! I know. Trust me, I know!
Samples to Savor: Book Club Picks, presented by Her Books:
Discover your book club’s next page-turner and spark fascinating conversations with your friends in this free sampling from eight bestselling authors. You’ll find rich prose, evocative plots, compelling characters and surprising twists from:
Finding Emma by Steena Holmes
Composing Myself by Elena Aitken
Spare Change by Bette Lee Crosby
The Scandalous Ward by Karla Darcy
The Tree of Everlasting Knowledge by Christine Nolfi
The Promise of Provence by Patricia Sands
Broken Pieces by Rachel Thompson
Depraved Heart by Kathleen Valentine
About the Author(s):
Bestselling authors Steena Holmes, Elena Aitken, Rachel Thompson, Patricia Sands, Christine Nolfi, Kathleen Valentine, Bette Lee Crosby and Karla Darcy provide readers worldwide with contemporary fiction and nonfiction releases ranging from historical romance to literary.
Buy Now @ Amazon
Genre – Women’s Fiction
Rating – PG
Connect with the authors on Faceboook